Author Topic: 2001 Chevy Tahoe Belt Squealing  (Read 4267 times)

appatight757

• View Profile
2001 Chevy Tahoe Belt Squealing
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
I'm having some annoying squealing coming from the serpentine belt of my 2001 Chevy Tahoe.  This problem started when the power steering pump was replaced.  In all I have replaced the tensioner, alternator, and the belt and the squealing is still there.  When I replaced the belt I stopped for a few hours of driving and then it came right back.  I can dash a tiny bit of soapy water on the belt and it will stop for about 15 seconds then it comes right back. I'm am pretty much confused on what it could be. Someone I know who has a good bit of mechanical knowledge said that when the shop did the power steering pump when installed it may be a little offset which may be causing the belt to rub which is causing the squeal.  Any way to test this before taking it back to the shop who did my power steering pump.  Any help on what it could be will be greatly appreciated.

Linkback: http://forum.trustmymechanic.com/b1/2001-chevy-tahoe-belt-squealing/31254/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Chevy Tahoe Belt Squealing
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
one thing u can try is to use a straightedge between the pulleys to see if there all lined up even. u can allso look at the belt where it goes around the p/s pump, if the pulley is cocked, u may be able to see if the belt aint sitting perfectly even all around the pulley. another thing is to check the edges of the belt. especialy with a new belt, depending on how much u ran the engine since replacing it, if u see any wear on the edges, that could be a sign of a misaligned pulley.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
Especially if the problem started after you had the power steering pump replaced.  The PS pulley has to be removed to replace the pump.  When you press the pulley back on it has to be aligned with the rest of the grooved pulleys.  It's possible they got the pulley off (common problem).  Best thing to use is a belt alignment laser.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Advertisement

appatight757

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
thanks for the help guys.  I will give those ideas a try.  Hopefully it'll get me somewhere as far as coming down to the root of the problem.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter