Author Topic: 2002 Ford Taurus Heating issue/Fluid issue?  (Read 4552 times)

cde311

• View Profile
2002 Ford Taurus Heating issue/Fluid issue?
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »
I know just enough to probably screw something up but I really enjoy fixing things myself and learning how things work.  

My 2002 taurus (non-DOHC, non SHO) was not heating.  Fuses OK, blend door opening and closing, OK, Coolant levels OK.  So I flushed out the heater core.  Just like magic, i had really nice warm heat, up to spec.

2 days go by and i have very luke warm heat.  I was thinking maybe something come through and clogged it again.  I haven't flushed the core for the 2nd time.

When I did flush the core, I didn't flush the entire engine and radiator, because I did that about 2 months ago and all was "clear" so when i flushed the core this time, I just flushed out the hoses (with a garden hose with good pressure) next to the fire wall, the bypass "T" hose and the core.  A LOT of sediments and junk came out, thus me having heat again.  I didn't want to flush the entire system with the garden hose because logically thinking i didnt want that "junk" to go through the radiator, thermostat and engine"

Here is the strange part.  Before ALL of this happened and anything was flushed, my Coolant Reserve/Fill tank had a crack in the bottom of it.  So i replaced it.  I read that the caps on the new tanks are crap and in my opinion, this was true.  I clamped down the 2 hoses back on the tank with good hose clamps and it was fine.....UNTIL i got on the interstate at 70+ mph.  In town trips I didn't have any issues, it was just when i got up to high speeds.  When i would park and turn the car off, immediately the coolant filled up the plastic tank and gushed out from under the cap.  I thought maybe I overfilled it so the next day I would do the same but with a little less coolant.  Same results

At normal (or even a little below normal) levels of coolant, is the coolant supposed to rush back into the plastic tank fast and overfill it and gush from the lid. well, apparently not but why is this happening i wonder?

Is something else blocked maybe?  The engine is not overheating.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Ford Taurus Heating issue/Fluid issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:49:32 AM »
Quote from: "cde311"
At normal (or even a little below normal) levels of coolant, is the coolant supposed to rush back into the plastic tank fast and overfill it and gush from the lid.

nope. did u replace the cap on the tank? a wore out cap that aint holding pressure could cause this. and if your losing coolant, low coolant level can cause the heater to not blow hot air.

if u didnt replace the cap, try that and let us know what happens. be sure to top off the coolant.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

cde311

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
I kept my old cap and used it, as well as used the new cap.  Both caps produce the same results.  It still gushes out from under the lid.  The lid feels like its a good fit and properly torque-clicked on.

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
a stuck closed thermostat or other blockage in the system can cause pressure to build and blow out from the cap. but something like that would allso cause the engine to overheat, and u said the temp is normal.

the only other thing i can think of at this point is a possible blown head gasket. combustion gas leaking into the cooling system can allso build pressure higher then it should be.

u can get a 'block test kit' at a parts store to check the coolant for combustion gas. follow the instructions in the kit. if its present, thats a sure sign of a bad head gasket or possibly a cracked head.

if it passes this test it wouldnt be a bad idea to reflush the system. after the first flush, some of the gunk in the heater core could of made its way to the engine and caused a small blockage. the only way to get all the bad stuff out is a complete system flush, all at the same time.

disconnect the radiator and heater hoses, and remove the thermostat. then flush the radiator, engine block and heater core seperately. when u put it back together, use a new thermostat. there cheap and replacing it while u got the system apart can head off problems later on.

this is allso a good time to check the hoses and replace any that look like they seen better days. any hose that feels soft and spongy should be replaced. a weak hose like this can collapse sometimes depending on the driving conditions, and cause a temporary blockage.

be sure to fill it with a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and coolant and use the new cap u got.

keep in mind that if u do the flush and fill first and it dont help, u should still do the block test to rule out or rule in a gasket problem. fyi, the flush procedure i described should be done evry 2 yrs or 50k miles on any car.

way2old

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
Maybe air in the system from the heater core flush?  Did not see that mentioned.  Raise the front end of car so the reservoir cap is the highest in the system.  Run the car to get it to operating temperature.  Remove the cap and all the air will go to the highest point and escape the system.

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:15:20 PM »
i did think about that possibility. but air in the system would cause it to overheat, and he says the temp is ok. plus i didnt think air would raise the pressure so much as to puke coolant out of the tank.

but it wont hurt to check it out and its easy enough to do.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter