Author Topic: 2003 Ford Taurus power steering  (Read 5191 times)

Rovinpiper

• View Profile
2003 Ford Taurus power steering
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
My car has about 104,000 miles. I noticed a whining sound that gets worse the farther I turn the steering wheel to either side. I also noticed a black liquid dripping from underneath the car. The power steering fluid level is indeed low. Adding more power steering fluid alleviates the whining, but then more liquid leaks and the fluid level drops again.

Not all of the fluid leaks so I thought perhaps it was a crack in the reservoir high enough that it only leaked some of the fluid. I just watched this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1XS0Ut5Few

It discusses power steering being vented from a drainhole in the cap, when it gets too hot. I also recall seeing some fluid collected in the cap. I had dismissed this as spillage from an oil change. But it was dark, like old oil or power steering fluid, not clear like the new stuff.

Is there some reason that I should expect this car to start having problems with the power steering system overheating? The temperature gauge stays in a normal range during operation.

How should I proceed in finding the leak in my system?

Thanks.

Linkback: http://forum.trustmymechanic.com/b1/2003-ford-taurus-power-steering/34408/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 Ford Taurus power steering
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Put the car up in there air and visually look for leaks.  Inspect the hoses, the pump seal, and the ends of the steering rack.  You may have to pull the steering rack boots back to see if they are full of p/s fluid.

If it is pouring out, it should be fairly easy to spot what is leaking.

If the level is too high in the reservoir, the fluid may come out the cap when the fluid gets hot.  
If you turn the wheels with the engine off, the fluid gets pushed out of the cap on those vehicles.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

Rovinpiper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
I forgot to update this.

I think that the fluid did leak from the top of the reservoir. I did some manhandling of this car when it wasn't starting.

This thread can be closed now.

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
Thanks for the follow up and if you still notice any loss of fluid, you should have the system inspected for leaks. Very Happy

Closed as per request by the OP.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter