Author Topic: Can a fuel pump relay fail intermittently?  (Read 6251 times)

Laperrad

• View Profile
Can a fuel pump relay fail intermittently?
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »
Hello everyone

I recently bought a used 02 Pontiac Aztek, and have been having some intermittent issues with it starting up. Its always cranks, but sometimes won't turn over, I've narrowed it down to the fuel system not getting gas when it starts, but I don't want to have to replace the fuel pump if I don't need to. I know a fuel pump can fail intermittently but can a fuel pump relay do the same? Any advice would be helpful.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can a fuel pump relay fail intermittently?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
yeah it can. how did u narrow it down to a fuel system problem? does it ever stall while your driving?

is the check engine lite on?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

Laperrad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
Quote from: "conniecartech"
yeah it can. how did u narrow it down to a fuel system problem? does it ever stall while your driving?

is the check engine lite on?

No check engine light, unless the car won't start. I've narrowed it down by noticing that when the car fails to start, there is no buzzing sound that the fuel pump makes.

When it will start I hear a bzzzzzz sound for a few seconds when I first turn the key. When it won't start, the buzzing sound isn't there, and it will just crank, but not turn over.

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
well, this could be the relay or it could be the fuel pump. u can troubleshoot it with a 12 volt test lite, volt meter or dvom. the trick is to catch it when it wont start.

unplug the connector at the fuel pump and probe the gray wire in the harness. have a helper turn the key on. u should get 12 volts for a couple seconds, then nothing. with the engine cranking u should allso get 12 volts. if your getting power here, plug the connector back in and have your helper turn the key on again. if theres no sound of the pump running, use a ohm meter or dvom to check the ground on the black wire in the connector. if your getting power and know u got a good ground but the pump dont work, the pump is bad.

if there aint power here, plug the connector back in and take out the fuel pump relay. on the side youll see numbers for the female terminals in the relay block. take a short piece of wire and jump between terminals 87 and 30 in the relay block. turn the key on. if the pump runs, but it dont run when u put the relay back in, the relay is bad.

u could allso see if theres another relay with the same terminal layout as the fuel pump relay and swap them. if the pump works, that means the relay is bad. or u could take a chance and just replace the relay since its a cheap part. but troubleshooting it like i described is a better way to pinpoint the bad part, since swapping or replacing the relay wont tell u nothing if the pump is the problem. and i agree with u, u dont wanna replace the fuel pump without knowing if its bad.

terryB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
It's possible but not real likely. Fuel pumps are far more common. They also have a lot of problems with the connectors at the tank.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter