Author Topic: Intake Manifold Gasket Sealant Or Not  (Read 7779 times)

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
Intake Manifold Gasket Sealant Or Not
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
Hello,

I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. I have an 89 Isuzu Pickup truck with around 200,000 miles. The engine is a 2.3L carburetor version. Recently the water pump went out and the engine overheated resulting in a cracked head and Iím replacing it myself.
 Iím ready to install the intake manifold but Iím hearing contradictory advice on how to proceed. The Haynes repair manual doesnít mention using a gasket sealant, some say use some only around the water ports (I assume this would be the same type I used for the water pump) and others suggested everywhere.

Whatís the truth? Iím a novice and I donít know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
OldIsuzu

Linkback: http://forum.trustmymechanic.com/b1/intake-manifold-gasket-sealant-or-not/38858/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket Sealant Or Not
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
I usually take a little silicone sealant on my finger and put a very thin bead (like finger paint thin) around the water ports of the gasket for added insurance.  You don't need silicone around any of the intake ports.  Be very liberal.  You don't want excess silicone getting squeezed out into the ports when you tighten the intake down.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:47:07 AM by discretesignals »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

Advertisement

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
another option is to get a spray can of 'copper rtv sealant' and spray a real thin coat on both gasket surfaces. but whichever u do, make sure that all the mating surfaces is clean and smooth, use a new gasket, and torque the bolts to the right value and in the right sequence. your haynes manual should have that info.

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
Be careful to not use too much.  Connie likes to spray that stuff on herself when she goes to the beach.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:46:31 PM by discretesignals »

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the excellent feedback. That seems to be the majority position.

I have another question.

The head gasket set I ordered came without an itemized list of the contents so there are several things I canít identify. I tried to get information from the company but they were no help at all. I was hoping someone might be able to identify the parts that are (hopefully) displayed below. I have a photo of the intake manifold (before I cleaned it up) and the gaskets I canít identify along with the intake manifold gasket for scale. Two are made of cork and the gray/black one seems to be graphite or something similar. The blue one is similar to the thermostat gasket but they (it came with two for some reason) are accounted for.

Thanks again.

Tom
OldIsuzu

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
What is the part number and manufacture on the box?  Those look like gaskets for a later model with port injection.  The blue gasket is a throttle body gasket.  The ones at the bottom are for the EGR valve and pipes.  Doesn't look like the right kit for your application.

transman618

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
Be careful to not use too much.  Connie likes to spray that stuff on herself when she goes to the beach.

OOH BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »
What is the part number and manufacture on the box?  Those look like gaskets for a later model with port injection.  The blue gasket is a throttle body gasket.  The ones at the bottom are for the EGR valve and pipes.  Doesn't look like the right kit for your application.

Well this is embarrassing. More blunders Iíve made during this endeavor. At least this set of mistakes didn't cost me anything like the others.

As I said, the itemized listing of the gasket set was not in the box. It was however on the box. On the bottom to be specific. And since the parts were easily falling out when I opened it, I never looked at the bottom of the box. And when I said I contacted the company, it was the company I ordered it from, not the manufacturer.

All that aside, it does appear this is the right set. Fel-Pro HS 9496 PT-3 compatible with a 4ZD1 engine 1986-95. From the parts list it appears they've covered every range of fuel induction this engine could have had; carburetor mounting, throttle body, two fuel injector O rings. Oddly enough, each O ring and thermostat gasket has a different part number but they appear to be identical.   

Good grief. I hope when I run into more problems (the vacuum lines for sure) youíll bear with me. Iíll probably stay in this thread for the duration of repairs which I hope to complete by mid March (free time and weather dependent).

Thanks again for all the help.

Tom
OldIsuzu

conniecartech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »
discrete -- at least my method aint as messy as yours :)

I usually take a little silicone sealant on my finger and put a very thin bead (like finger paint thin)

transman -- shame on u, a married man. *tsk tsk* but i gotta admit, im kinda flattered that u seem to know real beauty when u see it lol.

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
Hey Guys,

More questions. I apparently put the exhaust manifold gasket on backward. I replaced it based on YouTube videos that said the smooth side should be toward the head with the stamped part toward the manifold. I thought it was odd I that in doing it that way the spark plugs were partly blocked. If it is on backwards will it seal? I've already reconnected the exhaust and everything.

The same guy (a former GM certified tech) said I could take the smog pump off and it would still run, maybe better, which also save me from replacing many of the old vacuum tubes.

Any feedback appreciated.

Tom

Here's the way it looked before I put the manifold on.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Lookin good there.

I don't know.  I think it probably would be a good idea to put the gasket on the right way, so you don't have your plug boots rubbing the edges of the gasket.

If you live in a emissions inspection state, you might want to keep the pump on there.  The pump actually does serve a purpose and really doesn't rob as much power from the engine as most people think.  Without the pump oxygen can't be pumped into the exhaust manifold to help reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.

I was noticing the anti backfiring valve attached to the intake manifold in your intake manifold picture.  Last time I seen one of those was on a Fiat...LOL
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:54:37 PM by discretesignals »

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
Lookin good there.

I don't know.  I think it probably would be a good idea to put the gasket on the right way, so you don't have your plug boots rubbing the edges of the gasket.

If you live in a emissions inspection state, you might want to keep the pump on there.  The pump actually does serve a purpose and really doesn't rob as much power from the engine as most people think.  Without the pump oxygen can't be pumped into the exhaust manifold to help reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.

I wasn't down with the boot rubbing thing either. If having it on backwards doesn't affect performance, I'll just trim part of the gasket back so it wont interfere with the boots. As far as the pump goes, no car inspections here. I used to live in Florida and it would have been a problem there. In fact, that's where I lived when I bought the truck.

Back to the pump. To me, forcing compressed air into the cylinder would seem to be a good thing. Akin to turbocharging. But I'll probably put it back on anyway. I don't like the idea of my check engine light staying on.

Tom

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
The pump pushes air into the exhaust manifold.  It injects through the rail that plugs into the head.  It doesn't pump air into the cylinders as a supercharger does.  It wouldn't make a very good supercharger anyway...lol.  It is strictly for helping with burning HC before they hit the cat.  There should be an exhaust check valve on the air injection rail where the rubber hose connects too.  You should be able to blow into it but not suck on it.  It keeps hot exhaust from blowing back up into the diverter valve and pump.  The hot gasses will melt the inside of the valve and or pump.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:03:12 PM by discretesignals »

OldIsuzu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »
Hey guys,

Any suggestions on cleaning my carburetor? Itís an electronic 2-barrel variety. Iíve used Simple Green on everything else so far with really good results. Will that do? Should I try to clean inside the barrels? Kinda afraid I might damage something.

Thanks.

Tom

89 Isuzu pickup, 2 wheel drive, 2.3L

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter